Do you want to be part of a life enhancing organisation that puts you at its heart, and aims for transformative action?
Are you part of the first generation to leave the environment in a better state than you found it?
The Environment Agency has exciting opportunities for you to do just that.
Our 12-week Summer Diversity Internship Programme (SDIP) gives you the opportunity to gain valuable experience whilst complementing your studies and personal and professional growth. SDIP is a positive action measure as listed in the Equality Act 2010 to help people overcome certain barriers and improve representation across our workforce. If you are from a diverse background and eligible for this scheme, we would love to hear from you.
This could lead to various career pathways across the Environment Agency and kick start your future! You'll be working on challenging and varied projects that really matter and will make a difference.
You could be in a role which develops your:
- People leadership
- Inclusive behaviours
- Relationship management
- Problem solving
- Continuous improvement
- Use of digital technology
- Corporate knowledge
- Awareness of sustainability
The support you get includes:
- A dedicated 12-week programme, and programme delivery team who will support your development
- Pastoral support through mentors, office buddies, intern community, and access to the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic network and supporting services
- An internship specific welcome event with lots of engagement activities and guest speakers, and a closing event to celebrate the successes of every intern
- Access to a range of training and development courses
The Environment Agency operates across England divided into 14 areas and National teams. We have opportunities across both local and national teams.
You’ll be involved in the delivery of exciting projects and a varied range of work, all of which will enhance your skills and knowledge. You will learn about our organisation, gaining insight to develop ideas for a future career.
What we are looking for
- You will be someone with a genuine interest in the environment and be passionate about creating a better place for people and wildlife. You will be flexible in your approach and have determination to make positive change happen.
- We are looking for applicants with a variety of skills and behaviours, and willingness to develop within new areas.
- You are from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background*
- You are a UK, Commonwealth or EEA national
- You have the right to work in the UK
*Criteria is based on the Government’s agreed list of ethnic groups as used in the 2021 Census and includes ‘Asian or British Asian’, ‘Black, Black British, Caribbean or African’, ‘Mixed or multiple ethnic groups’ and ‘any other ethnic group’. To see a detailed list of the ethnic groups eligible for this internship please review https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/ethnic-groups
- You are in your final year of an undergraduate degree or master's degree programme or you have graduated from an undergraduate degree or master's degree programme within the last 12 months (from June 2023)
- You are studying or have studied a degree in any subject*, though we are particularly keen to hear from you if you studied within a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) discipline.
*If successful, you will be required to give evidence of your qualification (expected or awarded).
Accepted degree subjects
- accounting and finance
- environmental science and ecology
- business and management studies
- biology and life sciences
- planning and surveying
- civil engineering and construction
- geology and geography
- media studies and publishing
- information science and librarianship
- marketing and advertising studies
- chemical engineering
- materials science
Additional job details
- UK wide
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
Start Date 1 July 2024
How to apply
On submission of your application, you will receive a link to complete an assessment via a company called Artic Shores. Information on your next steps will be included in the email. You should receive this within 24hrs of your application submission. See the candidate pack for more information on the process.
We will ask about your preferences in the application form, and we will contact you to find out more about your interests and align these to the roles we have to offer.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 27 November 2023
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 27 November 2023